Sunday, May 17, 2015

Why Does the Buddha Have Big Ears?

            The other day my daughter and I were visiting our massage therapist when she began asking questions about Buddha.  There was a statue made of stone on the table near where my daughter sat. While detoxifying my mind from the stressors of life my daughter simply asked, “Why does the Buddha have such big ears?” 

             I breathed. I could feel my heart smiling. I silently contemplated, “Am I qualified to answer that?”  The creative universe whispered with an exhale, “Yes and No!” Okay then.  I am not a Zen Master nor do I desire to be one.  Never-the-less, I am a writer and when the universe produces an opportunity to write, I listen! 

Why Does the Buddha Have Big Ears?


           Have you ever noticed the Buddha has big ears?  His ears curve with a slight
“S” circling around the side of his face! 

Why do you think Buddha has big ears? 

Since I am not the Buddha, I decided to ask Mr. Tree.  
          “Mr. Tree!  Mr. Tree!  Do you know why the Buddha has big ears?”  
Mr. Tree inhaled just enough to make his bark puff out.  Upon exhale, his leaves began to rustle.  The wind charmed in and a song of laughter began to sound. 

           This was not the answer I was seeking yet, it was an answer.  

            I contemplated again, “Is it because of laughter?”

            Later on that night I was lying in my bed when I heard a strange noise coming from outside.  In the distance there sat an owl.  I decided to ask owl.

           “Mrs. Owl!  Mrs. Owl!  Why do you think Buddha has big ears?”  Mrs. Owl sat quietly staring at me until she took flight!  Swiftly and quickly, the owl flew catching a mouse in her claws and flying off. 

           This was not the answer I was seeking yet, it was an answer.

           I sat quietly bewildered.  Eventually, I fell asleep pondering the question at hand. 

            Why does the Buddha have big ears?

            While I was sleeping, a visitor came into my dream.  He was very calm and had a big belly.  I then realized, “Laughing Buddha!” 


            Why do you think Buddha has big ears?  (Unpublished Works, 2015 by Madeline A. Gouin)


No comments:

Post a Comment